Saturday, December 03, 2005

Zealotry

In response to this entry I made on 30 October, a correspondent replied:

"Expecting the ADP blog to be objective is the basic misunderstanding I think. They are admittedly a Democratic schill, so I am not sure they can be rightly criticized for not attacking their own."

Another reader replied:

"Do you expect us not to be biased? It is the party blog after all. Do you think that AL GOP's website would be any fairer? I am a Democrat, I am easily more likely to take up for my brother than someone else, and my party before another one."

What continues to keep party politics in the gutter is these kind of perspectives.

Yes, in the real world, party folks are zealots for their cause and will say whatever is necessary to win. Trust me. I've been around politics long enough to know that.

Regardless, that doesn't mean I cannot make a prescription for elevating the discussion about government officials in hopes of being more statesman-like.

If accepting reality and rolling over is the proper protocol, then Democrats should accept that Bush's denials about the problems in Iraq - and with the very reason we went to war there - are what's to be expected of a sitting administration and stop compaining about it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How true! As a steadfast Democrat, I'm getting so tired of Democrats doing nothing other than bashing Bush or other GOP targets. Wake up, donkeys! We're playing defense and we're doing it on our side of the field.

Only by winning over the hearts and minds of those in the middle can we improve our chances. We can't do that simply by knocking the other guys. We need to show people that we offer a better solution.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home